The Enterprise List Server will be under maintenance between 19:30 and 20:30 Monday Sept 23, 2024. Users will not be able to login during the scheduled window. All messages sent to the lists will be queued at UBC IT mail relay servers and delivered as soon as the completion of maintenance.

From:
Holly Bender <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holly Bender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:05:31 -0500
Hi Christine,
I teach at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University
using TBL and have used several online evaluations including course
evaluations, and peer evaluations over the past 5 years.  I give
course credit to students for filling out online evaluations and it
works beautifully.  I have access to the names of the students who
fill out peer evaluations and give those who submit them on time 5
points of individual credit.  I do not have access to the names of
those who fill out course evaluations so I give everyone 5 points of
team credit if over 90% of the class fills them out on time.  I also
emphasize that I value their input, read all of their evaluations, and
use their feedback to improve the course.  Even though these points
are a small fraction of the 350+ course points, this has been very
effective.  Typically, the response rates are about 99%.  I hope this
helps.
Best wishes
Holly Bender

On Mar 24, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Christine Kuramoto wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just got to look at the student feedback from my first try at TBL
> and found that only 17 out of 115 even did the computer based class
> evaluations.  It's really disappointing.
> The medical school has started doing all of the evaluations by
> computer which makes it necessary for courses that aren't taught in
> the computer room to be evaluated outside of class time.  My general
> education classes are still evaluated on paper (scan sheets), so we
> get good numbers giving feedback (at least the number of students in
> attendance on the day of the evaluations.)
>
> Now the medical school is discussing making it a requirement for
> students to complete the online evaluations in order to be able to
> view their grades.  I'm wondering what universities in your
> countries do?
>
> Christine
>
> --
> *******
> Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English
> Kyushu University, Department of Medical Education
> Faculty of Medical Sciences
> 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, 812-8582 Japan
> Phone: (+81)92-642-6186 Fax: (+81)92-642-6188
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Holly Bender, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Director, Biomedical Informatics Research Group
Room 2254 Veterinary Medicine
Professor, Department of Veterinary Pathology
College of Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-1250
ph. 515-294-7947