From:
Gary D Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary D Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:37:56 -0600
Herb and others:

First, this is very difficult to do...pragmatically speaking...  even when

using a "Clicker" system like we do, with the computer grading each

students iRAT immediately.  Getting that data to each individual could be

extremely time consuming, taking valuable class time.  And, if you use the

IF AT form, you defeat the purpose... no Team learning now.

Second, the whole idea is to keep everyone as open-minded as possible to

the "best" answer, and to stir discussion and debate.... not knowing how

you did, exactly, puts one in the mind of "well, maybe I didn't have the

best answer," afterall.

We use the Clicker (PRS Response, in particular)... in Self Paced Mode for

the iRAT... we then analyze the data while the students do the tRAT  using

the IF AT form.. We also hand out Team Clickers..asking the Teams to

"click-in" their first "scratch" on the IF AT form... albeit they

eventually earn points like 4:2:1:0 from the IFAT.

So, during class,.... we immediately know how the Individuals are doing

overall... how well the Teams "trump" the individuals, etc...  giving us

quick look at where to focus during the follow-up mini-lecture especially

if both Individuals and Teams missed the question...

Sorry to be rambling here... but this seems to work!  And, have to get to a

Seminar...

sincerely,

Gary D. Lynne, Professor

Department of Agricultural Economics and

     School of Natural Resources

103B Filley

University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Lincoln, NE 68583-0922  USA

Website:  http://www.agecon.unl.edu/facultystaff/directory/lynne.html

Phone: 1-402-472-8281 Cell: 1-402-430-3100

This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged

information, and are intended solely for the recipient(s) named above.  If

you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivery to

the named recipient, any review, distribution, dissemination or copying by

you is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should

notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the message from your

computer system and destroy any copies in any form.

"We are always only one failed generational transfer of knowledge away from

darkest ignorance" (Herman Daly)

"We do not just have our own interests. We share interests with others.

Empathy ... exemplifies the implicit solidarity of human nature" (Robert

Solomon)

"Whoever frames the debate tends to win the debate" (George Lakoff)

             Herb C

             <hcoleman@AUSTINC

             C.EDU>                                                     To

             Sent by:                  [log in to unmask]

             Team-Based                                                 cc

             Learning

             <TEAMLEARNING-L@L                                     Subject

             IST.OLT.UBC.CA>           To give scores or not to give

                                       scores

             01/20/2011 11:24

             AM

             Please respond to

                  Herb C

             <hcoleman@AUSTINC

                  C.EDU>

I was talking another professor who does individual and team testing.

She said she does not give them their individual scores before they do

the team test. So students do not know how well they did before they

take their team test. I'm wrestling with whether it's better to give the

students their scores or not. She argues that it prevents those who miss

a few items from controlling the conversation and they have to explain

their answers in light of the text or understanding and not by saying ,

"well I only missed 2 so I think I know the answer on this one."

Any thoughts one way or the other on whether it's better to give the

students their scores before the team test or not?

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D

Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology

Adjunct Professor of Psychology

Austin Community College

Highland Business Center

5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.

Austin, TX 78752

“Life, only really has one beginning and one end

...and the rest is just a whole lot of middle...

who cares what happens when we get there...

when the getting there has been so much fun.”

---Mr. Schuster

     from the TV show "Glee"