Herb and others:

First, this is very difficult to do...pragmatically speaking... even when using a "Clicker" system like we do, with the computer grading each students iRAT immediately. Getting that data to each individual could be extremely time consuming, taking valuable class time. And, if you use the IF AT form, you defeat the purpose... no Team learning now.

Second, the whole idea is to keep everyone as open-minded as possible to the "best" answer, and to stir discussion and debate.... not knowing how you did, exactly, puts one in the mind of "well, maybe I didn't have the best answer," afterall.

We use the Clicker (PRS Response, in particular)... in Self Paced Mode for the iRAT... we then analyze the data while the students do the tRAT using the IF AT form.. We also hand out Team Clickers..asking the Teams to "click-in" their first "scratch" on the IF AT form... albeit they eventually earn points like 4:2:1:0 from the IFAT.

So, during class,.... we immediately know how the Individuals are doing overall... how well the Teams "trump" the individuals, etc... giving us quick look at where to focus during the follow-up mini-lecture especially if both Individuals and Teams missed the question...

Sorry to be rambling here... but this seems to work! And, have to get to a Seminar...

sincerely,

Gary D. Lynne, Professor
Department of Agricultural Economics and
School of Natural Resources
103B Filley
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68583-0922 USA
Website: http://www.agecon.unl.edu/facultystaff/directory/lynne.html
Phone: 1-402-472-8281 Cell: 1-402-430-3100
This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged information, and are intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivery to the named recipient, any review, distribution, dissemination or copying by you is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies in any form.

"We are always only one failed generational transfer of knowledge away from darkest ignorance" (Herman Daly)
"We do not just have our own interests. We share interests with others. Empathy ... exemplifies the implicit solidarity of human nature" (Robert Solomon)
"Whoever frames the debate tends to win the debate" (George Lakoff)

Inactive hide details for Herb C ---01/20/2011 11:24:58 AM---I was talking another professor who does individual and team testiHerb C ---01/20/2011 11:24:58 AM---I was talking another professor who does individual and team testing.

cc

Subject

To give scores or not to give scores

I was talking another professor who does individual and team testing.
She said she does not give them their individual scores before they do
the team test. So students do not know how well they did before they
take their team test. I'm wrestling with whether it's better to give the
students their scores or not. She argues that it prevents those who miss
a few items from controlling the conversation and they have to explain
their answers in light of the text or understanding and not by saying ,
"well I only missed 2 so I think I know the answer on this one."

Any thoughts one way or the other on whether it's better to give the
students their scores before the team test or not?

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology

---Mr. Schuster
    from the TV show "Glee"