From:
Holly Bender <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holly Bender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:05:31 -0500
Hi Christine,
I teach at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University
using TBL and have used several online evaluations including course
evaluations, and peer evaluations over the past 5 years.  I give
course credit to students for filling out online evaluations and it
works beautifully.  I have access to the names of the students who
fill out peer evaluations and give those who submit them on time 5
points of individual credit.  I do not have access to the names of
those who fill out course evaluations so I give everyone 5 points of
team credit if over 90% of the class fills them out on time.  I also
emphasize that I value their input, read all of their evaluations, and
use their feedback to improve the course.  Even though these points
are a small fraction of the 350+ course points, this has been very
effective.  Typically, the response rates are about 99%.  I hope this
helps.
Best wishes
Holly Bender

On Mar 24, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Christine Kuramoto wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just got to look at the student feedback from my first try at TBL
> and found that only 17 out of 115 even did the computer based class
> evaluations.  It's really disappointing.
> The medical school has started doing all of the evaluations by
> computer which makes it necessary for courses that aren't taught in
> the computer room to be evaluated outside of class time.  My general
> education classes are still evaluated on paper (scan sheets), so we
> get good numbers giving feedback (at least the number of students in
> attendance on the day of the evaluations.)
>
> Now the medical school is discussing making it a requirement for
> students to complete the online evaluations in order to be able to
> view their grades.  I'm wondering what universities in your
> countries do?
>
> Christine
>
> --
> *******
> Christine Kuramoto, Assistant Professor: Medical English
> Kyushu University, Department of Medical Education
> Faculty of Medical Sciences
> 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, 812-8582 Japan
> Phone: (+81)92-642-6186 Fax: (+81)92-642-6188
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Holly Bender, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Director, Biomedical Informatics Research Group
Room 2254 Veterinary Medicine
Professor, Department of Veterinary Pathology
College of Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-1250
ph. 515-294-7947