From:
Judy Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judy Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:34:16 -0300
At an upcoming teaching showcase ( <http://www.upei.ca/aaushowcase>
www.upei.ca/aaushowcase) a colleague and I are doing a 25-minute
presentation. We are going to use a Pecha Kucha presentation for the 4
primary principles aspect (that should take about 6 minutes). The sessions
are intended to be participatory and that will be our main goal. I'm
wondering if anyone might have ideas to share about having the participants
'live' the experience of team formation, readiness assurance process, and an
application activity in such a very tight timeframe? It is a fairly small
conference (typically around  120 attendees) so I wouldn't suspect that we
will have >20 participants in our session. I've copied the abstract below so
that you can get a sense of the plan. All ideas welcome.

Shift happens! Transitioning to Team-Based Learning

In a unique initiative, an interprofessional educator team representing a
university and a community college planned, facilitated and assessed an
interprofessional learning experience designed to develop and/or expand the
learners' professional communication skills. Challenging a traditional
teaching/learning paradigm, the facilitator team adopted the principles and
practices of Team-Based Learning (TBL) as the instructional strategy for the
course. Making such a shift requires role changes for both course
facilitators and learners - changes that intentionally lead to increased
student engagement and student learning. In this session, the presenters
will briefly discuss the four essential principles of TBL; teams,
accountability, feedback and assignment design. Participants will have the
opportunity to 'live' the experience of Team Formation, Readiness Assurance
Process, and Application Activity. Using a TBL scorecard developed by Larry
Michealsen and Jim Sibley (2009) as a guide, the presenters will enter into
a discussion with the participants about turning groups to high performance
teams and the benefits of using TBL, irrespective of class size.

Judy Buchanan