From:
Marianne O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marianne O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2017 10:16:17 -0700
Hello all. I taught public sector budgeting this spring to graduate students using TBL (or an TBL-inspired) approach. The class was a great success. If you like, I would send you an outline of my applications. For reasons I describe below, my work products aren’t as tidy/documented as many I have seen here on this site.

My Class/My Story
I am a public budget expert, not an academic. I did not have any class materials before starting this class. (This was my school’s inaugural year for its Master in Public Policy/ Master in Public Administration program. I have not taught public budgeting before. I did not like the other public budgeting curriculums that I found on line.)

I learned about TBL in November 2016, went to a one-day TBL seminar in San Francisco in December, and then worked intensively over three months to develop applications, IRATS, etc. My applications typically asked teams to look at a public budget issue and then (1) answer a question about it (posed by a mythical elected or executive branch official) or (2) make a recommendation regarding it. When I wanted to focus on conceptual matters, I often summarized these matters on cards and then had the teams sort the cards into piles. For example, one application asked teams to sort budgeting objectives into three piles: objectives more important in the (1) private sector, (2) public sector, or (3) both sectors.  Another application asked teams to sort cards summarizing budget options based on whether the option would result in increased public out-year costs. Similarly, I taught the stages of the US federal budget process using cards. I asked the teams to put the cards in order and then identify the cards that typically are not being played under our current/crazy system.

I am debating whether to tidy up my materials and teach the class again next year.  I enjoyed the creative process of developing TBL materials and am convinced that this teaching approach works.  The workload of teaching, however, was quite memorable!
Best, Marianne O’Malley