From:
Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:24:22 -0700
Hi Steve

I would say there is no problem with a class of that size.

We use TBL in an Introduction to Engineering course with 1800 students.

The lectures are 6 sections of 300 students, and the design studios are 30
sections of 60 students.

We use teams of 6 (300 teams) and provide a specific map for each classroom
so students sit with their teammates. The teams are the same in class and
in the design studio.  (A bit of scheduling magic is required here).

I have attached a paper about the course.

Each week has the same rhythm

1 or 2 videos are released on Friday night to help students prepare for the
following week. Videos are 8-10 minutes in length and each video has about
10 embedded MCQ questions (these questions are simple retrieval questions).
The videos are connected to Canvas grade book so students get a point for
completing the video.

The week has two one-hour lectures separated by a 2-hour design studio. The
premise is the first class of the week is to set up studio experience and
the second class is to consolidate studio learning and pivot to the
following week.

The first class of the team complete a 6-question TRAT using the IFAT
cards. We use a timed PPT deck to cycle through questions so TRAT takes
exactly 9 minutes in total. The rest of class time is heavily activity
based using the principles of TBL 4S design. We often use Mentimeter (with
heat maps and 2 by 2 matrices) or Google docs for simultaneous reporting
(as well as traditional voting cards)

The instructor will use the classroom map to cycle around quadrants of the
room and keep track of teams as they respond. This keeps teams on their
toes since they could be cold-called.

The studio is also heavily activity-based and often provides time for
students to work on the module projects and deliverables. A Canvas dropbox
is used for every studio to gather worksheets from teams. This requires 30
drop boxes a week! The Canvas grade book has a few thousand columns by the
end of the semester.

The final class of the week is also heavily activity-based.

I would recommend talking to the instructor that built all this - Pete
Ostafichuk - he is a pedagogical savant and designs and delivers the most
amazing courses, I can introduce you if you want.

Jim

Read my TBL book Getting Started with Team–Based Learning
<http://learntbl.ca/book>

Visit my TBL website at www.learntbl.ca

Jim Sibley and Amanda Bradley
106-2575 West 4th Ave.