From:
Phil Ruder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Ruder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2020 10:01:18 -0700
Hi Katie and all,

I am in a similar situation, as I am sure are many of our colleagues.

Even though I consider it likely that fall F2F classes will be canceled before the term begins, we have to be ready to do the face-to-distanced-face-and-remote (F2DFR) classes in the fall.

There are two posts from Vanderbilt University's Center for Teaching that I think will help us think this through. Neither are TBL-specific but both are relevant for the task at hand.

Derek Bruff wrote an essay that considers active learning in FTDFR classes.

https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/2020/06/active-learning-in-hybrid-and-socially-distanced-classrooms/

Cynthia Brame examines the possibilities for small group work in F2DFR classes.

https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/2020/06/structures-for-flex-classrooms-pros-cons-and-pedagogical-choices/

If you read Brame's piece, I am leaning toward the configuration where (approximately?) two students from each group are present in class and the other two (three?) students participate remotely. Unless they have COVID, in which case they will have excused absences and will have to catch up by means of the recorded sessions.

I have not decided for certain on the medium for group cooperation but I expect that I will use Zoom breakout rooms for group interactions (students in class will have to have a device and earbuds with mic).

I will let students figure out what works for them but I will encourage Google's Jamboard (online sharable whiteboard) to support team collaborations.

I expect to have teams report by means of Google Forms -- the ABCDE corresponding to their single choice, along with a written rationale and/or their team's Jamboard (or whatever equivalent the students come up with).

Not every student will be rotating into the F2DFR class -- undergraduate students at Pacific University - Oregon have the option of remaining entirely remote -- so I will use my usual spinny wheel method of randomizing the team reporter after the team choices are made. So some reporters will be talking to the class from a remote location via Zoom.

Lots of balls up in the air, for sure. It would be easier if it were entirely face-to-remote (F2R) or asynchronous online but my university will not allow that if students are actually on campus.

For what it's worth, I am starting my planning for the fall by building fully asynchronous online courses and if we actually have F2DFR classes in the fall I will pull tRATs and some or all AEs into class.

I'd love to hear how others are approaching this challenge. Also, if there are better technologies for managing all this, I would love to hear about them.

Cheers,

Phil