From:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2013 20:22:55 -0500
Digital "IF ATs" using TurningPoint NXT Clickers

The TurningTechnologies, TurningPoint NXT clickers or student response
system allows for self paced polling.  The way this normally works is that
you distribute a paper of the test to each student.  The student circles
their answers on the test then enters their answers using their response
card.  The results are collected by the receiver and graded by the system
software.

What makes this particular system work for T-RATs is that this system keeps
a record of every input for each item.  So if a student enters "A"  then
decides to change their answer to "C" , the software captures and maintain
both answers.  The last answer is the one that's graded.  In the reporting
part of the software you can see how many (and which) answers the student
entered for each item.  This can be exported as a spread sheet.  With a
little manipulation in Excel, you can decide how to count the number of
only on response and it was correct they get 1 point.  If they entered two
answers (with the second one being correct) they get half or .5 points.  If
they enter 3 answers, they get a quarter or .25 points.  If they entered 4
answers they get 0 points.

What gives the system the immediate feedback assessment technique quality
is the individual monitoring option.  While students are completing the
exam, I can see the result of their input as they go.  The system shows
which item they are on and whether or not they go the answer correct.  For
correct answers, the system shows a green check mark. If the answer is
incorrect they get a red "X".  By turning on the projector, teams can see
whether or not they got it right.  They can then select a different answer
until they get their green check mark.  For those who are concerned about
FERPA, the grid only shows which items they have answered.  It doesn't show
how many answers they have tried.  If they got it wrong, it just display
the red "X" unit they enter the correct answer.  So one group doesn't know
what another group entered or how many tries they had.  They only know
which item they are on.

I tried it this weekend and it worked!!!  I passed out the clickers.  Had
the teams enter their team name.  Then passed out the test.  I showed them
how to change their answers and let them go.  By the 3rd item they got the
hang of it.  I warned them to be sure about their answer before they
entered because we were counting and the more attempts per item, the lower
their score.

Lessons learned:

1. Bring a couple of extra response pads.  One team had trouble logging in
and it me about 5 minutes to fix.  They were circling their items on the
paper while I got their response pad logged in.  Incidentally, they
finished first.

2. Rather than have them enter their team name, I could have pre-assigned
them.  I don't think this will be an issue in the future.

3.  The biggest problem was my laptop.  I had forgot to turn of screen
dimming and sleep mode.  So as I was wandering around the room listening
and making sure everything was working, I had to run back to the front and
log in to my laptop and wiggle the mouse.

4. Next time I will tell them how to compute their points so they will know
how they did at end.

5.  There was a about 20 minutes between the time the first team and the
last team finished.

6.  Once the report is downloaded there are two formulas you need to use in
order to count the the number of attempts and compute the points (I'll
share).

Post test assessment showed that students liked this better than the way I
did it before.  They liked knowing the correct answer before moving on to
the next item.  I noticed that one team in particular would cheer
frequently when they got the right answer.  All teams did this at least
some of the time with either cheers, high fives, or even chair dances.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx7FTMLeZOX5MnZhbjAycU12YTA/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx7FTMLeZOX5REVRNVdRaVROQWs/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx7FTMLeZOX5WjE5QnRoRlJSaUk/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx7FTMLeZOX5ZklBWERLNF93LWs/edit?usp=sharing

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM, McHugh, Kristie (NBCC - Saint John) <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For anyone looking for a method for grading iRATs - Quick key is another
> great option. It is an app that turns the iPhone camera into a scanner. It
> is fast, easy to use and provides immediate feedback. I scan up to 40 iRATs
> while the students are doing their team test and then make sure they
> clearly understand those questions during follow up discussion.
>
> I've attached a PDF document showing main features.
>
> This is a blog post by the developers showing me using Quick Key in my
> classroom during a team test. They are very supportive of teachers and
> always looking to incorporate feedback into upgrades.
>

> http://power-2-teach.blogspot.com/2013/10/quickshare-2-instant-in-lesson-feedback.html
> [https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif]
>

> Kristie
>
> Kristie McHugh
> Instructor - Pre Science, Electrical, Plumbing and Fuels Technician
> New Brunswick Community College
>
> 950 Grandview Avenue Saint John, NB E2J 4C5
> Tel: 506-658-2713 | Fax: 506-643-2853
> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.nbcc.ca<
> http://www.nbcc.ca/>
>
> College Works. Make it work for you.
>
> This message is intended for the person to whom it is addressed and is to
> be treated as confidential or private communications.  It must not be
> forwarded unless permission has been received from the originator.  If you
> have received this message inadvertently, please notify the sender, delete
> the message and then delete your response.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology
Adjunct Professor of Psychology
Austin Community College
Highland Business Center
5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.
Austin, TX 78752
Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but
that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of
ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and
love. — Gandalf the Grey from the 2012 motion picture "The Hobbit"