From:
"Fried, Vance" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fried, Vance
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:23:36 -0500
I've used TBL the past couple of years and am quite happy with it.  My only major unresolved problem is the procedure for determining final grades.
In the past I have used the system that Larry suggests in the book-rank ordering everyone by score and then subjectively determining letter grade break points.  I think this approach results in fair grades for students.  However, it is hard for many students to understand where they stand in class until the end of the semester.  Of course the 90/80/70 doesn't work because so much of the score is from group grades.   As a result often poor students can end up with a score over 80.
Any suggestions?
Vance H. Fried
Brattain Professor of Entrepreneurship
Spears School of Business