From:
"Bradetich, Judi" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bradetich, Judi
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:06:41 -0500
Hi Folks,

I am new to TBL, but am really enjoying it so far, teaching Adolescent Development in a 5-week course. I am in a quandary as to how to effectively write the choices for the scenarios that I want the teams to discuss.  I feel like I can't come up with a "meaty" enough set of choices - they all seem obvious to me. Has anyone experienced this same frustration? How do you get over it?

For example, I have a scenario where the teams will be high school teachers who just found out about a controversial student involved in a fatal car accident while driving drunk after being at a party...the kid survived, but one of the most gifted and popular students in the school was killed.

I want the teams to decide how they would present this to and discuss it with the students at school (CHOICES: explain facts, don't reason it out; explain facts, blame it on peer pressure; explain facts in terms of the family system of the student). Then I want them to come up with a way to guide the kids through their grief, and I offer 3 suggestions, and then help the students who want revenge - and I give 3 ideas for them to choose from In all three cases, I want them to prioritize the choices in order of what they think would be most effective when working with adolescents... Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Any thoughts?

Judi Bradetich, M.S., M.M.

Lecturer, Development and Family Studies Dept. of Educational Psychology University of North Texas