From:
"Kontio, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kontio, Ken
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2014 13:34:32 +0000
Jeney,
This is the response I got from a senior psychometrician with an organization I work for ...hope it helps.  Everyone should have one of these people at their institution in one form or another.
Ken

Hey Ken,

If your group is that large (i.e., n=350), then I am of the opinion that 2%-3% could be a good guideline.  There are other considerations though.  If your questions have 4 options (instead of the 5 like we do), 1 of which is the correct answer, then there are 3 distractors.  If 2 of these distractors are attracting only 1%, then you can't very well discard them both since this would leave you with 2 options which is now a true/false item.  Another consideration is the discrimination (if you have access to a program that outputs these for every option).  If you have 2 distractors that attract 3% and you can't afford to discard both, then I would look at the distractor that discriminates positively and discard that one  (we like to see the correct answer to discriminate positively and the distractors to discriminate negatively).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ken Kontio B.Sc., M.D., M.Ed., FRCS(C)
Department of Surgery - Rm 3342
Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
401 Smyth Road
Ottawa, ON
K1H 8L1
Office   (613) 737-7600 x 2426
Fax      (613) 738-4840

Confidentiality Statement - The contents of this e-mail, including its attachment, are intended for the exclusive use of the recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from reading, using, disclosing, copying, or distributing this e-mail or any of its contents.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and permanently delete this e-mail and its attachments, along with any copies thereof.  Thank you.

Avis de confidentialité - Ce courriel, y compris ses pièces jointes, s'adresse au destinataire uniquement et pourrait contenir des renseignements confidentiels. Si vous n'êtes pas le bon destinataire, il est strictement interdit de lire, d'utiliser, de divulguer, de copier ou de diffuser ce courriel ou son contenu, en partie ou en entier. Si vous avez reçu ce courriel par erreur, veuillez en informer immédiatement l'expéditeur.  puis effacez le courriel ainsi que les pièces jointes et toute autre copie. Merci.