From:
"Kubitz, Karla" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kubitz, Karla
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 12:59:27 +0000
Do all teams pick the same, the right, answer?  If they don't all pick the same answer, you have a place to facilitate a cross-team discussion of the pros and cons of the various answers.  If they all pick the same, the right, answer, you can still facilitate a discussion.  You're trying to get them to explain their thinking out loud so that others can hear it.  Sometimes, my teams come to the same answer for different reasons and sometimes they pick the right answer for the wrong reasons.   You can ask things like... why not B?  what were you thinking about when you chose A?  Also, if I'm doing multiple choice question application exercises, I typically have 6-8 MCQs ready for a 50 min class.  Some questions go very quickly. Others take longer.  For example, when I pose a question about 'negative reinforcement' discussions can take quite a while.  It's a tricky concept and there are always teams that get it wrong... they think that negative reinforcement is just like punishment, which it's not.  One other suggestion, have them do some preparatory work individually first... so they have invested in it and done some thinking on their own... then bring them into their teams (like the IRAT/ TRAT).  Karla