From:
Julie Estis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Estis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2016 10:51:54 -0500
I wholeheartedly agree with the previous comments from Dee and Max. Here at
the University of South Alabama, TBL is the focus of our five-year Quality
Enhancement Plan (a required component of our accreditation process). We
began with a pilot group in 2012 and officially launched in 2013. Our
implementation has been successful because of top-down support and
bottom-up efforts. TBL is supported and valued by administrative leaders,
who have made provisions for personnel, faculty development opportunities,
and supplies. Also, our administrative leaders have actively conveyed the
message that TBL is an important aspect of achieving our educational
mission by attending workshops and recognition events. Faculty
participating in the project have the opportunity to earn certificates and
awards reflecting their accomplishments. Through ongoing communication with
administrative leaders, from department chairs to the president, we've
created an overall culture that values TBL course design and
 implementation by our faculty. While it is important to cultivate support
and value of TBL among administrators, I would be careful with a
heavy-handed top-down approach. Faculty using TBL who do not believe in TBL
or do not want to use TBL will likely be detrimental to the overall success
and perception of TBL on your campus. It is important to invest the time
and energy necessary to gain buy-in.

From a bottom-up perspective, an early adopter model has been utilized to
spread interest in TBL organically among our faculty. A number of
outstanding faculty champions have shared their success with others in
their units and supported colleagues as they implement TBL. Their
enthusiasm is contagious! Faculty who are considering TBL have examples of
success, often just down the hall. We have a fairly large cohort of faculty
using TBL, and they gain great insight from interacting with one another.
We are currently launching TeamUSA Faculty Learning Communities to further
expand that type of collegial support and encouragement. Starting with a
small cohort of very interested and dedicated faculty will likely lead to
others giving TBL a try.

Judi, all the best to you as you encourage the use of TBL at your
university!

Julie M. Estis, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Director of Quality Enhancement Plan
Associate Professor of Speech-Language Pathology
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
P: (251) 380-2731
F: (251) 460-6192
—