From:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2014 09:36:05 -0600
Sandy,

Thanks for articulating my own struggle with RAP questions. I have the
exact same issue: is the RAP a reading quiz or should it be more like Apps
and encourage team discussion during the tRAT? Like you I am torn and have
heard instructors which construct their RAPs in both forms. One thing I
remember hearing (might have been at last year's regional TBL conference in
Atlanta) is that the RAP should not be too onerous for students. It should
be an encouraging learning experience and that the difficult work of
applying course content should happen during the Apps. If this is the case,
I think that argues for RAPs that are more like reading quizzes rather than
higher order Apps. Or maybe it is entirely context dependent - depends upon
the course content and course level. Or maybe RAPs should be a mix? Perhaps
mostly reading quiz type questions with only one or two that are going to
cause teams to pause and consider carefully the question?

I suspect that there is not one correct answer to this issue, but I would
appreciate hearing what others think and do.

cheers

Neil

*Neil Haave, PhD*
Associate Professor, Biology
Managing Editor, *Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching
<http://celt.uwindsor.ca/ojs/leddy/index.php/CELT/index>*
University of Alberta, Augustana Faculty
Rm C155, Science Wing, Classroom Building, Augustana Campus
4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB, CANADA   T4V 2R3
email <[log in to unmask]>
Augustana dossier <http://www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/>
Google+ <https://www.google.com/+NeilHaave>
blog <http://activelylearning2teach.blogspot.ca/>

"We do not learn from experience . . . we learn from reflecting on
experience" - John Dewey