From:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:01:14 -0600
Maybe it's because I'm lazy or maybe it's because of my experience in
working on teams.  If a person is absent, they are absent regardless of the
reason.  They weren't there and didn't participate so the team had to work
without their contribution.  If they miss the the iRAT but make it in time
for the T-RAT then they can get the T-RAT grade.  If they miss both, they
miss both.  I used to put iRAT's in the Testing Center and give them a week
to make up but it was way too much trouble and counter productive.  For
one, by that time the team had completed the T-RAT was ready to move on.
Secondly, my classes have always set the iRAT as the lowest level so we're
talking about 5-10 points here (out of 1000 possible).  Then, I had to put
the test in the center, go back to pick it up,  do additional grading, etc.
So, I changed and the only make up if you miss the iRAT/T-RAT is to do an
article review related to the application exercise.  All my application
exercises are researched based. Since students have to read the articles
anyway, doing a two-page write up is one way to get them deeper into the
topic and is something that could be valuable to their team.  Incidentally,
it's also the only extra credit I offer.  So they could make up their
points that way.

Since we're talking about absences, I have found that conscientious student
tend to do a good job of communicating with their teams when they miss and
maintain their part as team contributor.  I had one student who was
pregnant and missed on the day of the discussion of the application
exercise but she had put such work into helping the team prepare that they
all gave her a bonus on the peer eval.  So I challenge my students when
they are out to apologize to their team mates then keep in touch and
participate as such as they can in helping the team complete it's work.

--

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology