From:
Kathryn McKnight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn McKnight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2013 15:34:35 +0000
Hi All,

I haven't read all the posts thoroughly, but I'm not sure I've seen mention of lap boards. I teach in one of our language labs at the U of New Mexico. The room has five round tables that comfortably seat six students each; seven are possible. Each table is equipped with three laptops and outlets that allow students to plug in their own. The multiple laptops allow students to use web-based platforms for collaboration and reporting as well as for in-class research. There are two large electronic screens on the walls hooked up to the teacher station. On the walls are are two large white boards and railings where many 2'x3' two-sided lapboards are hung. So groups can use lapboards to draw semantic maps, write thesis statements, organize thoughts, or do 4-S type reporting. I'm attaching a photo that shows one of the five tables, one of the large white boards, and one of the railings where a removable lap board is hung. (Sorry-not a very TBL-type shot--it was a photo the students posed for inclusion in a mobile place-based game they were creating.)

Kathryn J. McKnight
Associate Professor of Spanish
Associate Director for Academic Programs
Latin American & Iberian Institute
MSC 02 1690
801 Yale Blvd NE
1 University of New Mexico