From:
"Low-Beer, Naomi" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Low-Beer, Naomi
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:28:48 +0000
We are designing a curriculum for a new medical school which will use TBL as the core educational method. I would be grateful for advice on the following:

1.       Group application exercises

*         Any advice about how consistently the format of these are within and between modules

*         Does anyone have experience of designing these assessments so that there is no one correct answer, but instead a topic that stimulates discussion

2.       Anatomy

*         Any advice about how anatomy can be learned through TBL. Can the practicals (we will be using plastinated anatomy specimens) be incorporated into the group application exercises

*         Any advice on the format of RAP questions for anatomy - are single best answers considered feasible/desirable or should we be considering alternative formats

3.       Assessment

*         Is it usual for the assessment plan to focus exclusively on the Readiness Assurance Process and exclude the group application exercises (which we are planning to design so that there may not necessarily be a correct answer)

*         Are the TBL assessments generally formative or do they contribute to summative exams which in our case we are planning to have at the end of the academic year

Many thanks for your help

Naomi Low-Beer

Dr Naomi Low-Beer MD MRCOG MEd
Locum Consultant Gynaecologist
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
369 Fulham Road
London SW10 9NH
and
Curriculum Development Lead
The London Office of the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine
Level 12 Electrical and Electronic Engineering Building
South Kensington Campus
London
SW7 2AZ