From:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:32:10 -0700
Michael and all,

I put a file on blackboard for students to download. The file is really
simple - the first page is instructions (purpose of midterm eval, examples
of good vs. bad kinds of comments, printing and submission instruction).
After the first page, I have "boxes" for students to fill in: team member's
name, the letter grade they would give them right now based on their
participation, strengths of the teammate and areas to improve on. At the top
of the second page, they sign and date their evals (I have a statement
saying that they submitted fair and accurate evals and understand that their
teammates will be getting them).

After typing out the form, students have to print it and bring it to class
on the due date. About 1 week before they are due I go over the file in
class. On the due date, I collect them in a big folder. After class, I sort
them into numbered folders by team (team 1 goes in a folder, team 2, etc) to
keep it organized. I then see who I am missing evals from and send them a
message on blackboard. I then cut the evals apart and make bundles for each
person. The "signed" top I keep as proof of submission (in case they contest
it - which has happened before). If they are late, I write the days late on
this stub since I take points off for late evals.

This is separate from the peer helper score worksheet, which they do in
class on the day they turn in their midterm written evals. I try to get them
back the next class or the following class. This semester in my 100 student
class all but 1 person turned them in on time and I was able to get them
back quickly.

For a large enrollment with no TA support, I find this is a good way to do it.

Erica