From:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:32:41 -1000
 Jennifer,
To encourage reading and note taking skills I provide students with discussion questions in advance and allow them to use their notes during RATs. Therefore, I never write questions that simply duplicate content from the book. I also consider the discussions that I want to create for the group RATS when formulating questions. I want and encourage students to discuss and justify the responses that they've recorded. Therefore, the questions I write are generally examples or application orientated. I want them to discuss and justify why a certain example fits a definition or why an application of a concept is correct or not. I also review all of the questions with the class after they've finished the group RAT. It's much more meaningful when you can discuss a scenario or example and why it conforms to a certain topic you want them to understand, rather than just putting a definition in the question.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Tom

Tom DeWitt Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Marketing