From:
Dean Parmelee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dean Parmelee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2010 21:27:11 -0400
This is all great- math with tbl. Suggestion: we have
Recently put our biostats course into an
On-line series of tutorials with assessments
After each on line. Students love this- suggest
Putting your advanced assignments in same format!
Maybe better than just text. Dean

Nothing like iPhoneñ‰õµ

On May 9, 2010, at 8:31 PM, Jamie Sneddon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
> first pre-class reading was working through a set necessary
> definitions and concepts and constructing their own examples.
> Another pre-class reading was a 'popular mathematics' style article
> (if that isn't an oxymoron!): http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/group-theory-in-the-bedroom
> I've also used the wikipedia page on Dijkstra's algorithm as the
> introduction to graph algorithms; we don't need to use the textbook
> for readings (although I'm not using a textbook for my course, so I
> don't have the option of saying "read sections 1.3 to 1.5").
>
> I think perhaps the problem of students not learning mathematics
> from books/handouts is that they don't know how to, and don't see
> the point - especially if that material will be covered again in a
> lecture format. The personal responsibility that TBL fosters by
> testing readiness should go some way to showing students the
> importance of reading for understanding. The concern that students
> won't do the pre-class preparation is widespread; making it clear
> that it is a integral part of the course and won't be diluted if
> students dislike it should help(?).
>
> We've had really positive feedback on TBL from the students; it is
> working well. It takes more time to develop the assessment tasks and
> readings and so forth, but it's a one-off investment which will pay
> off next year.
>
> I would like to try TBL for a larger first year course, and think it
> would certainly be possible for Calc I or II. Making the readings
> relatively small and focused so you can ask questions in the RAT
> which test more than rote learning would be beneficial; so far my
> readings are 6 pages or less, but require some thought in the reading.
>
> (For instance, if I was writing a RAT on differentiation, I would
> use the section(s) of the textbook covering tangent & secant lines
> only, to really hammer home their importance and relationship to
> rates of change and velocity. eg Section 2.6 in Stewart Calculus
> (Concepts & Contexts)).
>
> Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jamie
>

> Mike Rosenthal wrote:
>>
>> Jamie,
>> Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I
>> made the mistake of sending out my inquiry just before final exams.
>> I teach lower level college math (College Algebra through Calculus
>> II) and my concern about using TBL is that my students won't/can't
>> do the individual pre-class preparation. Students don't seem to be
>> able to learn math from reading books/handouts. How has TBL worked
>> with your class? Are you consider trying it with Calc I or Calc II?
>> Mike
>>
>> Jamie Sneddon wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mike
>>> I'm using TBL to teach a final year combinatorics class; will be
>>> interested to see if any other maths TBL users come out of the
>>> Cheers,