From:
Ruth Boeker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Boeker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:55:00 +0000
Hi All,

Here's a task that I like my teams to solve early during the semester to
develop good strategies for team discussions:

Assume you prefer to talk through ideas to arrive at a conclusion.
Another member of your team finds this distracting and prefers to think
quietly for a time before offering a suggestion. What is the best
strategy to ensure an effective decision making approach for everyone in
your group?

 1. Ask every student for their opinion before you reach a final team
    decision.
 2. Let the vocal students talk and don’t wait for quiet students to
    join the discussion.
 3. Before you start the team discussion, ask if everyone is ready to
    participate.
 4. Take turns when opening discussions so that different students speak
    first.
 5. Some other strategy – please specify.

Ruth

Ruth Boeker
Assistant Professor
School of Philosophy