From:
"McKee, Edward E" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKee, Edward E
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:55:07 +0000
  Colleagues,
     Our College of Medicine makes extensive used of Case-based and Team-Based learning in the first two years of instruction. We have always considered the TBL portion of our curriculum as a summative assessment. The IRAT worth 35%, the GRAT 35% and the Application portion 40%. We are a pass/fail school and students must pass both the TBL portion and the high stakes exam portions of our courses. In our 6 year history, since the beginning, we have never had a student fail the TBL portion of a course.  In general, our students seem reasonably happy with this curriculum and engagement in TBL is variable but usually good. We are presently debating whether the TBL portion should remain as a summative assessment, or whether they would be equally as engaging if we made them formative. We are interested in the experience of other schools that make extensive use of TBL in this regard. Are your TBLs summative, formative, or both, and if you moved from one type to the other, what was the outcome? There does not seem to be much published on this aspect of TBL in the literature. Please send any information on this that you are willing to share off-line and I will collate and summarize back to the list serve.
   Many thanks for any input provided.

Edward E. McKee, Ph. D. | Senior Associate Dean for Research and Professor,  Foundational Sciences | College of Medicine, Central Michigan University
Room 119 CMU Research Building, 2630 Denison Drive | Mt. Pleasant MI 48859
*: 989-774-7861 | Mobile 574.261.2864 | *: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 6: 989-774-1215
Visit us online!<UrlBlockedError.aspx>