From:
"Beverly, Sandy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly, Sandy
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:48:50 -0600
Hello from Kansas,

I'm using TBL for the first time.  My class meets once a week for 3
hours, so those who miss one class miss a lot.  I'm not sure how to deal
with absences.  Here are my ideas; I'd appreciate feedback:

1)       Students who know in advance that they will miss class should
turn in the RAT, any individual assignments, and the group assignment in
advance.  I will share these materials with the group, and the absent
student will receive individual and group grades as usual.  When
students turn in materials in advance, it's as if the absence never
occurred (although if it happens frequently, students may be penalized
in peer evaluations).

2)       Some students cannot or will not turn in materials in advance.
The first time this happens, they will receive the group grade for the
RAT and the group grade for any missed group assignment.  If they
complete the RAT within 2 days (negotiable), they will receive an
individual grade for the RAT.  (My rationale is that some absences are
unavoidable, and earning zeroes is a harsh penalty.  Peer evaluations
will help keep students motivated to attend and contribute.  But, is
this policy too lenient???  Alternatives??)

3)       For second and subsequent absences where materials are not
submitted in advance, the student will receive a zero for any
assignments missed.

Thanks in advance for comments,

Sandy