From:
John Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 23:07:37 -0400
Brenda,

I'm a fan of hybrid/blended learning AND TBL, and I've thought about this a
lot: IF all students have online access in a classroom or lab, I think the
iRat can be done online, too. And if you don't have a lab or ubiquitous
computing, I think clickers could suffice for the iRat (if they support
student mode where students can click/input their answers to questions at
their own pace, not the typical instructor mode where everyone answers one
question at a time displayed overhead on the data projector).

However, I've just not seen a good online equivalent to the analog IF-AT
form for the tRat. It seems like this this topic comes up a lot, usually as
the opening inquiry for how to move TBL online. While I didn't see it at
the TBL conference in Vegas two years ago, I heard that someone had created
a virtual scratch off card that sounded very interesting. But if "Immediate
Feedback" to the team is important, then I don't see how any online system
that is based on a personal user account and login can replicate the
beginning team dynamics that emerge through the tRat & IF-AT. Sure, teams
can "delegate" their choice to an individual member, and the prof can
multiply & distribute this score to the other team members who have a zero
for the team grade. But that feels clunky and inelegant and saps energy
rather than generates it in synchronous environments.

I used to see non-online tRat as a problem, but not anymore. I think the
IF-AT just works and that something would be lost if moved online. I'd also
wonder about security of the iRat/tRat questions if students could access
the questions AND answers online, and not in a classroom. I know that's not
what you're proposing here, but just thought I'd mention it.

For those teaching online with TBL, what am I missing?

Thx,

John

--
John Fritz
Asst. VP, Instructional Technology & New Media