From:
Judy Paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judy Paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:48:00 +1200
Hi Mike

When I asked a similar question last year there were no responses so
it would be great for me and Jamie if you wanted to share ideas - we
are in the interesting situation that I am a maths educator and he is
a mathematician and we work in the same department so are able to
pool our pedagogic and mathematical understandings in the development
of his third year course.

Last year I started using it with mathematics majors who are doing a
course called "Teaching and Learning Mathematics" at Auckland
University. The students and I all really enjoyed the new zest it
added to the course. However, since I work in mathematics department,
I was interested in seeing how it could be used in a pure (or
applied) mathematics course. The way in which Jamie has approached it
has received a very positive response from the students. We have had
to think a lot about the sort of reading one  can give students in
mathematics - he has begun with definitions and asking questions in
the IRATs and TRATs that require them not only to recall them but
also to be able to apply them. We have heard them having some really
interesting discussions and sharings of knowledge and insights.

I was introduced to the concept when Larry Michaelsen and Dee Fink
each visited New Zealand in 2009 and held seminars in Auckland and
Roturua.

Judy