From:
Scott Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:33:33 -0500
Karla and others,

One thing that seems to have helped my students buy into the TL concept
and RATs is that I try not to refer to them as tests or quizzes, it
sounds too punitive.  I remind them frequently that the RATs are
feedback for them to guide future studying and inform them as to the
quality of their reading habits.  It also allows me to tailor what we
will do in the class based upon the feedback we all receive about the
difficulty of the material.  The activities I ask of my class change
each semester depending upon the outcome of the RAT.  Both the students
and I need to know what they need before we can go there.

If the amount of RAT points is small relative to other things in the
course (exams, etc.) then it makes it a bit easier for students to
swallow that as well.

I agree with David, students are well trained at being passive in
classrooms.  They have been told to sit down and be quiet since
Kindergarten.  I have found that it is helpful to remind them of that.
 You may also want to ask them to look forward and anticipate what their
"learning" will be like in the workplace.  It might help them to see
more value in becoming responsible and independent in the classroom.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

--
Scott D. Zimmerman, Ph.D.