From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 17:06:14 -0400
On http://www.teambasedlearning.org/benefits it says

    Premium TBLC Member Only Content

    Modules
    SoTL Resources
    Workshop Materials

I'm thinking that the last three should be indented.

That said, it is rare (unknown?) in higher ed to have to pay for
instructional materials developed by other instructors. One example that
comes to mind is "Project Galileo" https://galileo.harvard.edu/login/ (I
should add that there is far more empirical work that these techniques
work than does TBL). Another example is the "International Journal for
SoTL" http://academics.georgiasouthern.edu/ijsotl/v5n1.html which is also
freely available. A third is Merlot http://www.merlot.org (ditto on
material being freely available).

Why would I want to contribute material for other instructors that is
hidden behind a $60 paywall? I suspect that I'm missing something, but I'd
much rather have my material freely available for anyone to use. Obviously
we can now do that with the Internet. More broadly, I'd argue that such a
paywall will hinder TBL.

Finally, $60 is nearly what I pay for annual membership in my main
academic organization, the American Economic Association. The "premium
benefits" listed here sound much more like a commercial venture. The
number of links on the main page that require a login (and TBLC
membership, I presume) is disheartening.

     - Bill

--
Bill Goffe
Department of Economics