From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:21:12 -0500
Gary,

My answer is, No--you don't need to and should not lecture more for "younger" students. In my opinion, lecturing shortchanges students at any level,  In fact, I think it borders on being unethical to use practices that perpetuate what I see as a very real deficiency in our educational system.  If students lack reading skills, they have a permanent handicap and, if we (TBL users) don't hold them responsible for improving their reading skills, who will?  (certainly not our colleagues who lecture)

That said, I think there is a lot we can do to help build both their reading competence and confidence--both of which are important.  These include things like:
- making sure that they understand why we don't want to lecture (it's in their long-run best interest)
- carefully selecting what we ask them to read so that they get what they need in a readable form.
- providing materials that inform them about good strategies for reading.
- providing reading guides--i.e., when you finish this reading, here are some questions you should be able to answer.
- using technology to underscore key concepts (e.g. iPod downloads of PowerPoints with or without voice over--others will know a lot more about this than I do).

I hope this helps.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management

[log in to unmask]  <---PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!
660/543-4124 voice
660/543-8465 fax