From:
"Sibley, James Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, James Edward
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:47:41 +0000
Hi

We routinely now do TBL in classes of 200

A few things

When you get to large settings….the quality of question you ask is critical….in smaller settings we can get away with a lot of things because of instructor presence and the intimacy of the setting

Be super organized with team folders….and detailed lesson plans…..with the team folders we just put them at the front of the class and ask each team to send a representative down

We divide out classes into teams and the teams are in one of four divisions (quadrant of classroom)….that is a reminder for us to facilitate the reporting discussion division to division….so we don't don't get hung up talking to one corner of the class

Start the reporting using an iphone app like Pick Me…..so every group is on the hot seat for reporting first

Have the person speaking in a team stand up…and make sure everyone in the class can hear

Have a TA quickly mark reporting choices on a classroom map….voting cards go up for such a short time….that I can't remember what all 35 team might have reported

I like the rule….last team to report is first to talk….makes those voting cards go up fast

And relax….It does work…

Jim

--
Jim Sibley
Director

Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]<applewebdata:[log in to unmask]>

Check out http://<http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/>www.teambasedlearning.org

© Copyright 2013, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively "message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the meesage.