From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:32:44 -0400
Since RATs are given at the beginning of the unit and "test" at a basic level, midterm and final exams can/should be quite different.  I teach economics.  My exams are typically about 15% at a basic level (and multiple choice) and 85% application/extension/interpretation, etc. that involve problem solving and written explanation.  Individual homework assignments are all problem solving and explanation while group activities in class begin at the basic level and build up to more complex problems, interpretations, etc.

In my introductory course, I have two midterms and a final exam, along with about 9-10 homework assignments, and 5 RATs.  After years of experimenting with different numbers of exams, including no midterms, I find this combination is best for the predominantly sophomore/freshmen mix to give them a prod to keep up with the material.  In my intermediate level course, I am comfortable forgoing midterm(s) entirely, although most of the students are not.  However, when I point out to them that I would weight the final exam the same whether they had a midterm or not, it eases complaints somewhat.  I also have fewer but more intense homework assignments in that class, and more complex, group assignments.  But, students in that class also write a term paper.

Molly Espey
Department of Applied Economics and Statistics
263 Barre Hall
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634
(864) 656-6401