From:
Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:08:53 -0600
Members of the Team-Based Learning (TBL) List:

Marie Panec recently sent me a question (see below) about using TBL in a
majors biology course.  This seemed like just the kind of question that
should be put on this list, to see who "out there" knows of someone who has
used this teaching strategy in biology courses.

Let me start by noting a couple of resources:
    * In the "Team-Based Learning" book (due out in paperback in January
from Stylus Publishing), Chap. 6 is by Kipp Herreid and is about his use of
TBL in a course on evolutionary biology.  Kipp is at SUNY-Buffalo and has a
powerful website on "Case Study Teaching in Science", URL:
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/case.html
    * Chapter 12 is by a Czech professor who describes a light-hearted
problem he gives students as part of his hydrobiology course.
    * The TBL website, under "Successful Uses of TBL" has one course in
microbiology by Michael McInerney.
    * Recently, John Peters joined this list.  He is in the Department of
Biology at the College of Charleston.  John: Do you have any experiences or
suggestions to share with Marie and others?
Question for Everyone:
Do other people on this list have your own experiences to share, or know of
people who have used TBL effectively in biology, to share with Marie and
others?

Reminder:  To reply to the whole list, hit "reply to all" on your email
program.  Or simply send it to: [log in to unmask]

Dee Fink

P.S.  A Happy Holiday Season to Everyone!

>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:58:48 -0800
>From: "A. Roll / M. Panec" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: TBL in Biology classes
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Dee,
>
>I am considering trying the team based learning for a majors biology
>course.  Do you know of anyone who has successfully used this approach in
>biology courses that I might contact to get an assessment of how it worked?
>
>Thanks,
>Marie Panec
>Moorpark College

L. Dee Fink, Director                   Phone: 405-325-2323
Instructional Development Program       Email:  [log in to unmask]
Hester Hall, Room 203           FAX:    405-325-7402
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK  73019                       IDP Website: www.ou.edu/idp

President-Elect of the POD Network [Professional and Organizational
Development] in Higher Education
Author of:  Creating Significant Learning Experiences (Jossey-Bass, 2003)
Dee Fink's Website:  www.ou.edu/idp/dfink.htm