From:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:06:01 -1000
Nick,

I backed into TBL. I was giving open notes quizzes during the first class
period of each week over a single chapter before I learned about TBL and
I've never encountered any problems. In fact, it seems to help get students
into a normal routine for preparing for class each week. I post discussion
and review questions online and base my readiness assessments on the
about the readings, apply concepts, and take good notes.

I've shied away from combining chapters into modules because I'm concerned
that students wouldn't prepare as well because there is more material to
cover. In addition, I find that 10 multiple choice questions per chapter is
perfect for covering the most important concepts and can be covered with a
30 minute mini lecture. I dedicate 10 minutes at the beginning of class for
the iRAT and approximately 10 minutes for the tRAT. All three activities
fit nicely into a 50 minute class period.

Cheers, Tom