From:
Preman Rajalingam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preman Rajalingam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:00:34 +0800
I haven't had much experience in a TBL setting yet. But I taught a mildly autistic student electronics engineering in a project/ problem based setting for three semesters . Two things seemed to work in my class.

1)      Careful selection of teams and familiarity: It was essential that at least one or two team-mates  were able to "read" his reactions to questions and continually invite him to contribute to the discussions.  It helped that the team knew his particular strengths and did seek his input on certain things.

2)      Direct task oriented questions: Socratic questioning or open ended  did not work so well for me. What worked were questions that got him to work towards a tangible outcome. Questions like "How much current would you need to drive this part of the circuit? " or "Can you think of a way to move as many wires as possible to one side of your circuit board".
This worked quite well in project/problem based learning because of the "divide and conquer" approach teams sometimes had to adopt to respond to the problem. Not sure if it would work for a TBL session.
Cheers
Preman
Preman RAJALINGAM | Medical Education, Research, and Evaluation | Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School | 8 College Road, Singapore 169857 | Tel: (65) 66011565 | Fax: (65) 62272698 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | Web: www.duke-nus.edu.sg<http://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/>