From:
Jennifer Mott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Mott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:52:01 +0000
Marit,

I like to ask the following question, which goes nicely with Peter Balan's introduction:

What statement best describes how to be successful?

a)      a. Accomplish a purpose by doing things you like to do

b)      b. Accomplish a purpose by doing the least amount of work possible

c)      c. Accomplish a purpose by relying on your talents and knowledge

d)      d. Accomplish a purpose by waiting for and using opportunities

e)      e. Accomplish a purpose by doing things you don't like to do

Then show the following for additional discussion:

Successful [people] have a purpose strong enough to make them form the habit of doing things they don't like to do in order to accomplish the purpose they want to accomplish.

Failures are influenced by the desire for pleasing methods and are inclined to be satisfied with such results as can be obtained by doing things they like to do.

"The Common Denominator of Success" - Albert E.N. Gray

For my discipline, a more engineering  (or any project/design) based question is:

Which is the most important for a project to be successful?

  1.  Design Quality
  2.  Communication
  3.  Constructability
  4.  Cost Effective
  5.  Timeliness

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

Jennifer Mott Peuker, Ph.D.

Lecturer - Mechanical Engineering

ME Freshman Service Project Coordinator

ASHRAE Student Club Advisor
Trainer-Consultant of Team-Based Learning
California Polytechnic State University

1 Grand Ave
San Luis Obispo, Ca 93407