From:
"Tobin, Tammy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tobin, Tammy
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:08:16 +0000
Hi John,

As a biologist who teaches metagenomic analysis, which simply cannot be done without computers...no...I do not ban them.  I also strongly support the cost and sustainability benefits of using electronic textbooks...Again, that dictates that I allow them in the classroom.

I do ban their use during quizzes and exams, and have very specific circumstances under which they may be used during lectures.  Penalties for violating these rules are clearly stipulated in my syllabus.

Ultimately, and you hit the nail on the head in your comments below, if keep my students engaged with TBL activities, then their computer use tends to be on point.  As soon as students feel that their time in the classroom is wasted, then texting begins.  When I see that, it is a learning moment for me, and tells me that I still have some course design work to do.

Best,

Tammy Tobin
Professor of Biology
Susquehanna University