From:
"Tobin, Tammy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tobin, Tammy
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 22:21:56 +0000
Hi Ruth,

At the end of my first unit I have every student formatively evaluate their teammates (no grade implications) using a rubric that we distribute, explain, practice and reinforce every day in class (freely available...just ask).  After I collect the student evaluations I meet with every student in my class, one on one, and ask them four questions:

1) What do you think your strenghts are regarding the TBL model of teamwork?
2) what do you think your weaknesses are?
3) What do you think your teammates have to say about your strengths and weaknesses?
4) How can your teammates be more supportive to you?

If the student does not already know what they need to do to be a better team member (most do), I reinforce a few ideas, and also reassure them that their feedback will make it to their peers in an  anonymous manner.

Each meeting takes 5-10 minutes, so it is a really intense week....but the input and insights I get from students are invaluable, help them to become better team members, and help me to become a better teamwork mentor.

At the end of the semester I hand out the same rubric, and the evaluations have significant grade implications.

Best of luck with your work,

Tammy Tobin, PhD
Professor of Biology
Susquehanna University