From:
"Smith, David W" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Smith, David W
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:56:54 -0600
I no longer have a grade-setting exercise.  I decide the weights myself.
I give team exams as well as RATs.  The team scores for RATs and exams
are about one-third of the individual scores,  that is, TS=IS/3.  A
little bit more or less doesn't seem to matter much.

I have had very strong reactions once or twice to having any team
component to final grades.  This hasn't happened often, but usually has
strong feelings associated with it.  The team scores have never hurt
anyone's grade, only helped.

My students are professionals who will usually be employed in work
environments where team activities and success are central.  Some of
them have had some on-the-job training in group processes.  If
necessary, I tell them team work is necessary on the job.

Students who are more capable usually learn more by helping everyone in
their team learn.  They seem to recognize this.  Not everyone will do
so.

Most importantly, you will always have some unhappy campers with TBL.
There is no easy way to prevent this.  Basically, as a form of active
learning, the end products of TBL are not as clearly defined as
traditional learning and the work demands are much greater.

Any non-traditional learning format, such as active learning methods, is
going to make some people unhappy.  They want clear, precise norms for
learning and anything else is so unsatisfactory that it will bring out
their worst possible criticism.  If you are prepared to make a credible
conclusion that students learn more with TBL then you have a powerful
argument in favor of it.  I suspect it has been successful for me
because it forces students to put in time on task much earlier in the
semester.  I think many students dislike these work demands, which are
not consistent with their other academic  experience.

Regards,

David Smith

David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor, Biostatistics
Fellow, Institute for Health Policy
The University of Texas School of Public Health
San Antonio Branch Campus
voice: (210) 562-5512
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  or [log in to unmask]