From:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:46:23 -0600
I use an 8 item, (critical thinking) model for my iRATs/T-RATs.  There are
three choices plus all of the above, none of the above, A&B but not C, B&C
but not A, and A&C but not B.  Then you can run it either by starting at 8
points per item or do percentages.  I use percentages.  So the 100% on the
first try, the 70% for the second, 60% for the third, 40% for the 4th, 20%
for the 5th, 10% for the 6th and 5% for the 7th (obviously  0 for the
8th).  I use an algorithm on the spreadsheet generated by the clicker
software to compute the score.

 H D B  3 0.6

Rarely do teams go past 3 or 4 guesses.  The algorithm also only counts if
they entered a different answer.  It is interesting to see how in every
T-RAT at least one team has entered the same choice multiple times.

I toyed with the idea of giving partial credit if they chose "A" and the
answer was "F" (A&B but not C).  However, when I ran the numbers on the
number of times that has happened, it's usually only one or items.  So
we're talking a difference of .10 points. Also, I usually make the question
such that leaving out one of the parts is important to the concept or
including the wrong part destroys the meaning. One example would be "The
DSM-V defines bulimia as having the following conditions..."  I they only
got the binging and not the purging or the purging and not the binging or
included excessive sleeping, they would have missed the key components of
the concept.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 2:04 PM, OP McCubbins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I teach a capstone course in farm management and operations- Junior/
> senior level students only. Students are making decisions that affect a
> working farm operation. Because of this, I grade TRATS with four options
> (a,b,c,d) 4-2-0. My experience thus far has been great. Students are
> extremely engaged in the discussion process and only seem to have issues at
> the beginning of the semester when they're are unfamiliar with the process.
> I have found that if they exhaust their options for earning points, it is
> generally because they haven't adequately prepared (also evident when
> compared to each members IRAT score).
>

> *OP McCubbins*
>
> Instructor- AGEDS 450
>
> Collegiate FFA Graduate Advisor
>
> College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
>
> Department of Agricultural Education & Studies
>
> 217B Curtiss Hall
>
> Ames, IA 50011
>
> 859-444-3966

>                         GO CYCLONES!
>
> [image: head-is]

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Dir. Instructional Computing and Technology
Adjunct Professor of Psychology
Austin Community College
Highland Business Center
5930 Middle Fiskville Rd.
Austin, TX 78752

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The
good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad
things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant. And we
definitely added to his pile of good things."

- Eleventh Doctor from the BBC series Dr. Who