From:
Elizabeth Carraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth Carraway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:32:10 +0000
Hi Gretchen,

I use RATs in an introductory environmental science class and have had similar issues.

For students who have accommodations for extra time, low distraction environment, etc., I have found it works out well to allow those students early access to review the questions. I’ve used a couple of approaches. I use Canvas for iRATs, but if you plan on in-class on paper iRATs, one of these approaches could be adapted as long as you have a LMS such as Canvas. Here’s a little description of each approach.

  1.  Provide a list of the questions (with or without answers) to the students with accommodations through the LMS at a specific time for a specific length of time. My class is usually at 8:00 am; some students have selected late afternoon or the evening before and others have selected the morning of. For example, a list of questions might become available for a student to review at 7:15 am and end at 7:45 am before the iRAT begins at 8:00 am. Sometimes I have offered just a list of questions and sometimes both questions and answer options.

     *   This allows the students to read the questions and have a chance to think about them in a location of their choosing before the actual iRAT. In Canvas, I have the question order scrambled which I believe helps avoid simple memorization.

     *   I stress that the preview is just for reading, not for copying, but I have no way to check if students observe this. In general, I find students with testing accommodations to be quite serious in their responsibility to not misuse the privileges and risk losing them.

  2.  Allow students with testing accommodations to begin earlier than the rest of the class. This has worked out for my class since there are no classes before 8:00 am.

For students who cannot attend on the RAT days, my firm policy is:

     *   Students may be excused from the iRAT for valid, documented reasons. The iRAT score is 0 for unexcused absences.

                                                               i.      Students can view the questions and answers through the LMS after the RAT is completed and all the grading is completed.

     *   All students on a given team receive the tRAT score earned by the participating team members, regardless of participation or absence (excused or unexcused).

                                                               i.      Lack of participation not deemed acceptable by other team members is reflected later in team evaluation scores.

Overall, these methods don’t require much extra time on my part and students with accommodations have seemed satisfied with the arrangements and appreciative of the chance to benefit from the accommodations even though the assignments are relatively low stakes.

Good luck with TBL your first attempt! I think you’ll like it and find the wrinkles are usually not too difficult to deal with!

Beth Carraway

ELIZABETH CARRAWAY  |  Associate Professor

Environmental Chemistry

Department of Environmental Engineering and Earth Sciences<http://www.clemson.edu/cecas/departments/eees/>

College of Engineering, Computing and Applied Sciences<http://www.clemson.edu/cecas/>

342 Computer Court  |  Anderson, SC 29625

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask] >  |  864.656.3276(Main), -5574(O), -0672(Fax)

[Clemson University]<http://www.clemson.edu/>