From:
Michelle Walks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Walks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 10:17:00 -0800
Hello Kathryn!

After doing TBL for a few years (5 I think), I have found that what works
best in my classroom is switching teams up half way through the term. On
one occasion I realized too late that there was a toxic group (2 people
accusing each other of verbal abuse that blew up right before class one day
in week 10), and also noticing other teams falling into "we know who will
do the work, so we don't need to, regardless of how it looks on peer
evaluations". Switching teams up has been beneficial in breaking up cliques
(clicks) that form, and also disrupts student apathy. I know this midterm
team switch up goes against the typical practice, but I have found it helps
the effectiveness of the learning.

Good luck!
-Michelle