From:
Doug Holton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Holton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2015 11:26:19 -0400
One issue is student resistance - I posted some resources related to that
on the POD list:
https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1504&L=POD&F=&S=&P=38578
You have to really "sell" it (frame it) to students early on and throughout
the semester, or else some may complain or revolt.  I link to some
resources on framing peer instruction to students lower down on this page
(I should have put it much higher): http://dbctle.erau.edu/news/gateway/

From my perspective working with faculty, a big issue is that it takes time
to learn how to do active learning-based teaching strategies well.  You
can't just learn it from a one-off workshop or from reading one article.

Some evidence for that includes this article, which found that after a
week-long workshop on active learning, 75% of faculty said they were using
it in their class, but when observed, only 25% were:
https://www.msu.edu/~ebertmay/WebsiteImages/Publications/EbertMay%20et%20al_2011.pdf
The author published a follow-up chapter here:
http://openscholarship.wustl.edu/circle_book/4/

Another factor is that active learning teaching strategies won't work well
if you haven't changed your fundamental beliefs about how learning works.
See:
"We contend that most instructors lack the rich and nuanced understanding
of teaching and learning that science education researchers have developed.
Therefore, active learning as designed and implemented by typical college
biology instructors may superficially resemble active learning used by
education researchers, but lacks the constructivist elements necessary for
improving learning."

Which leads to faculty resistance.  I don't remember the reference, but I
read somewhere on the colorado or UBC science education that sites that it
is common for instructors to adopt something for on semester and then
abandon it.