From:
"Brescia, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brescia, Bill
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2013 14:24:32 +0000
Greetings,

We recently had a rash of 'Modified' TBLs. Some were in fact just slight modifications, one introduced a new technology that we think will be worth a paper, but some were not remotely close to TBLs and were confusing to students and staff about just what was and wasn't a TBL. They were called TBLs only because they happened in the TBL room. Two things happened, first I met with faculty who had scheduled modified TBLs and walked them through the TBL process, showing them how what they wanted to accomplish fit into the TBL format. One worked really well the other comes up in a few weeks. Right now the planning looks really good for that one. The second thing that happened was the idea of a faculty member who is a TBL user. She suggested that it was actually bad for the department, and LCME reporting, to be listing all active learning activities as Modified TBLs. In her words we have such an intelligent and creative faculty who are developing all these new and effectives methods we need to note that they are successful active learning activities that are not TBLs. We are at early times with that one but I believe it is the correct approach.

So, before you decide to change a well-researched instructional method (TBL) decide if you modification is creating something new and wonderful enough to deserve its own name.

Bill----
William Brescia, Ph.D.
Director of Instructional Technology
Associate Professor of Preventive Medicine
Office of Medical Education
University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC)
910 Madison Avenue, Room 1002
Memphis, TN 38163
This correspondence may be considered a public record and subject
to public inspection pursuant to the Tennessee Public Records Act