From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 09:37:22 -0500
Mike,

We grappled with a similar issue in a Statistics class here.

(As an aside, what does it say about our math texts that we all pretty much feel students cannot learn anything by reading them!  :-(     )

Anyway, the approach that was settled on was:

1)      VERY focused RAP reading guides:  what definitions to learn, what SIMPLE distinctions to understand

2)      Six units in class, with the six RAP's being pretty much just definition and concept recognition

3)      After RAP's, the lectures plugs numbers into the definitions and walk students through using them (calculating with them)

4)      Teams have a "Team Games" day which is where they get to do the application/calculation in teams, "competing" as teams for extra credit points (members of the first team to turn in their sheet AND get all the answers right get a crumb or two of extra credit).

5)      After every two units, a retrospective test in which students now must to all the application/calculation themselves.  In this case, these were team-based tests, too (individual-team-immediate feedback-appeal).

. . . this was the class I was describing to Dianne, earlier.

For a different class, the same teacher videotaped his lectures one semester and makes them available on Blackboard for students to read as pre-RAP preparation. . .

Good luck!

-M