From:
"Kontio, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kontio, Ken
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 08:54:48 -0500
Paul thanks.

We did do an orientation session as you described.  However in looking
back at the rat results I noticed late that some of the RAT answers to
what sets TBL apart, were done poorly and perhaps not addressed as well
as they could have been. I like the idea of letting the students "help
decide" what the learning points should be, and will look how best to
incorporate this aspect  Point taken.

We used the CBL groups for the term (12 weeks) as our TBL groups and
were able to determine the "allocation" of students  for these groups
(dispersing expertise) to make them TBL appropriate.  The evaluation was
a sticky point as it was the issue of grading your colleagues (some more
, some less) that was a big sticky point for the students...not new I
hear for professional programmes.  They were therefore together as a
group for a while but not in a TBL only context.  I think the formative
component is best, since summative will not fly with my admin.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ken Kontio B.Sc., M.D., M.Ed., FRCS(C)

Department of Surgery - Rm 3342

Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario

401 Smyth Road

Ottawa, ON