From:
Bill Roberson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Roberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2015 18:56:53 +0000
Good morning TBL colleagues,
Only a couple of seats remain for the December edition of our Vancouver Island Team-Based Learning Institute. If you have colleagues who have expressed interest in an experiential, "cohort" approach to learning TBL course design and management, I invite you to share the information below with them, and encourage them to register soon. The December TBL Institute provides a learning framework for preparing instructors to launch a TBL-format course beginning in the Spring 2016 term.

More details of the agenda can be found on the application page: https://survey.viu.ca/Guest_2015_TBL.survey.

Bill

Bill Roberson
Vancouver Island University

Vancouver Island TBL Institute
Transform Your Classroom with Team-Based Learning
December 9 and 11, 2015

 If you are looking to bring new energy and higher level learning into your classroom, this may be the opportunity you've been looking for. Please take note of the recent testimony by several VIU faculty members who have successfully adopted the Michaelsen Method of TBL:

*          "For the first time my students are consistently coming to class prepared!"
*          "My students tell me I'm like a new teacher. My whole outlook on teaching has changed!"
*          "I couldn't believe how good the discussion was... students were using the theory and technical vocabulary just like experts!"
*          "I gave a midterm test similar to ones I've used in the past. Students in my TBL course scored 13% higher on average."
*          "I used to hate teaching this course because the content was so dry. Now I'm enjoying it, and my students are really getting into it."
*          "The other day I accidently went 20 minutes over the scheduled class time, and NO ONE said anything, they were THAT engaged!"
*          "I can tell, after just a few classes, I'm unlikely ever to go back to doing lectures. This is just too much fun, and I can see that my students are learning more."

The Vancouver Island TBL Institute is designed to take you through the process of transforming a traditionally taught course into a TBL course, or developing a new course from scratch using TBL. This event is geared for faculty members or instructors who will implement the TBL approach beginning in January 2016.

The Michaelsen-Knight-Fink TBL model is a set of teaching practices and protocols designed to promote greater student engagement, as well as a greater sense of ownership and responsibility for learning. For more information about TBL watch the video, TBL: Group Work that Works<https://vimeo.com/51713733>, visit the TBL Collaborative<http://www.teambasedlearning.org> or peruse LearnTBL<http://learntbl.ca/what-is-tbl/>, the collection of resources provided by Jim Sibley at the University of British Columbia.

The Institute is led by Bill Roberson, Ph.D (Profile<https://ciel.viu.ca/bill-roberson>) and Tine Reimers, Ph.D. (Profile<https://ciel.viu.ca/tine-reimers>).

Dates: December 9 and 11, 2015, 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM, plus pre-institute readings and a substantial course development assignment between meeting days of the Institute. To indicate your interest, please register at https://survey.viu.ca/Guest_2015_TBL.survey.