From:
"Dubois, Joel A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dubois, Joel A
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:53:04 +0000
I just realized that the subject line in the last email would turn away everyone but health ed folks, so I'm resending!

TBL Colleagues,

After using TBL in most of my courses for the past 9 years, I'm planning a 10 session, academic year Faculty Learning Community on my campus entitled "Using Student Groups to Teach Critical Thinking," which focuses on course design principles and methods of Problem-Based Learning, Case Method Teaching, & Team-Based Learning (TBL).  Each of the 9-10 participants, drawn from a broad range of disciplines, will identify relevant analytical processes for a course to be taught spring semester 2013, and design PBL, CMT &/or TLB assignments to guide students in applying those processes.  Participants will also experiment with some critical thinking assessment tool (pre- & post-test, dialogue capture, online discussion) to investigate student progress in applying the targeted analytical process.

Though I'm interested generally in hearing from others who have tried similar things, my *MOST PRESSING QUESTION* as I write the funding proposal is:

"What is the most compelling research on the effectiveness of PBL/TBL in health science education?"  (FYI I'm firmly in the TLB camp but want to be open to the participation of others who are already hooked on PBL.)

The opening plenary session at the TBL conference in Las Vegas two years ago reviewed this literature, and I have a list of 41 sources I picked up there, but as I'm not in health education myself I'm hoping for some guidance in sorting one the best one or two articles/studies, and/or others that have been published since then.  I'm asking about health science education because that where I've heard the most research has been done; of course if there are studies in other fields I'd be happy to look at them.

Thanks in advance for your guidance…

Joël Dubois

Dr. Joël Dubois, Associate Professor
Humanities & Religious Studies