From:
Mary Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:27:20 -0600
If you're requiring students to make a "minimum" grade in order to be
allowed to use their team score (I have seen some of you implement this)
and students are struggling there may be an issue with the level of
question being asked.

But if you want to provide a "teachable moment" you could allow students to
"regrade" the RATS.  I use a technique in other courses where I ask
students to EXPLAIN why the wrong answers are incorrect and give them back
partial credit.  It really gets them to analyze the question and the answer
prompts they were provided.

For example on a question such as this (not necessarily a great RAT
question as it's not TOC level knowledge, but works well for this purpose):
Which of the following is a positively charged particle in the nucleus of
an atom?
a. proton
b. neutron
c. electron
d. intron

Correct answer is A.
The student would they "regrade" by writing out a statement for each of B-D
explaining why they are NOT correct such as:
B - a neutron is in the nucleus but has no charge
C - an electron is in the cloud surrounding the nucleus and is negatively
charged
D - an intron in a segment of mRNA that is removed by the spliceosome
during DNA processing

I usually return 20% of the question points for this activity so a student
who has done well has little incentive to do this, but a student who has
really struggled (say 50% on the quiz can move up to a 60% by performing
this task).  Since they have discussed it in their teams this is
potentially a very simple task, but requires them to review and reanalyze
the question and the thought process behind how you select correct answers.

Mary B. (because it's posts by Marys day)