From:
"Kubitz, Karla" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kubitz, Karla
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:33:19 -0400
Hi all,

I'm interested in this issue as well.  I've had similar experiences.  Most of my students, even those initially hesitant, end up positive about TBL.  Many come back for other classes with me at least in part because of the way that I teach.  However, there are some, who do not like it and, some, who are/ become quite hostile as the semester moves forward.  Some of the reasons for the dissatisfaction that I've picked up from students are...

that they feel like they're teaching themselves (because they do the reading before the RATs and I don't lecture first)...

that they have too much else to do outside of class and want class to be something that they show up for (without having to prepare), take notes, cram for, and are done with...

that they found their teammates unhelpful/ had to do most of the work themselves (... one particularly unhappy student had a teammate that copied her individual integrative assignment and turned it in as his own)...

that they felt like the application exercises were 'busy work' (I think this has something to do not being graded.... I do not grade the topic specific application exercises only the integrative application exercise AND something to do with following the RATs which are graded... of course, it may also be that I just haven't hit the jackpot yet with my topic specific application exercises and they don't engage the teams enough... I keep trying though...)

It's funny, I had two classes this past spring that really came together nicely and one that just didn't.  The one that didn't was a Friday afternoon class and I had a tough time getting students to stay past the RATs.  Despite my efforts at working up activities that were key stepping stones to the integrative assignments, they just felt like they were 'done' after the RAT.

Anyway, I'll be interested in what others have to say.

Karla

Karla Kubitz, Ph.D., FACSM
Department of Kinesiology
Towson University