From:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Haave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:44:30 -0600
I permit teams to give everyone the same mark if they wish. This has
happened a couple of times in the past but not very often. I have found
students to be pretty responsible about giving more/less marks to their
peers when warranted. The couple of times when everyone received 100% on
the team for participation, I had to agree with them - those couple of
teams really did seem to be well integrated with different members taking
on leadership roles at different times.

The reason this works in my peer evaluation system is that they do not get
extra marks. The peer evaluation is a multiplier that I apply to their
team-earned marks. So if they all get 100% that simply means that they all
get 100% of the marks awarded to them for their tRATs and Apps. If someone
gets 80% or 120% on their peer evaluation they then are awarded 80% or 120%
of their team earned marks. What keeps it in check from everyone receiving
more than 100% is that I only provide them with sufficient marks to award
everyone in their group 100%. So if someone earns more than 100, that means
someone else needs to be awarded less than 100.

This system is described in the Team-Based Learning book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/157922086X?tag=t0538-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=157922086X&adid=192GSAQEPNXW6Q86JCFC&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teambasedlearning.org%2FNewBooks

Cheers

Neil

--
Neil Haave, PhD | Associate Professor | Science Dept, Augustana Faculty,
University of Alberta | Rm C155, Science Wing, Classroom Building,

DISCLAIMER: Any and all spelling mistakes contained in this email were
inserted at the whim of my iPhone.